Is it Hard to Remove Burnt Odors After a Property Fire?
Although this fire was confined to the kitchen, smoke and soot traveled throughout the home. We were able to completely restore this home.
SERVPRO Smoke and Odor Control Technicians (OCT) Can Help Recover your Chicago Home after a Fire.
What equipment is practical for odor removal?
Tackling odors in your Chicago property can be a challenge. Many commonly used deodorants use potentially harmful chemicals to eliminate fire odors. When dispersing any gas into the home environment, it is essential to wear professional safety equipment. SERVPRO technicians use chemically resistant clothing and eyewear to protect themselves from exposure to deodorant chemicals. Equally using a respirator of at least, or equivalent to, N95 masks is a vital part of ensuring that implementing odor control methods is safe. If your property requires fumigation, it may be necessary to vacate when deodorizing occurs.
Can air-filtration equipment remove odors?
- Air scrubbers can draw in odorous air and filter it, exhausting cleaner air back into the indoor environment.
- A Vaportek unit uses natural oils to capture volatile odor particles and absorb them from the indoor air.
- Duct cleaning technology, such as negative air-pressure machines, can draw large amounts of odorous air from the property.
What are wet-fogging pieces of equipment, and how are they used?
When conducting smoke and odor removal in your Chicago home, ultra-low volume (ULV) foggers may be deployed. One potential issue with wet foggers is that they can add moisture damage to specific soft furnishings. This equipment vaporizes liquid deodorant and disperses it in a fine mist. Often portable, SERVPRO technicians can use this equipment throughout a building to put deodorants into small cracks and crevices or a ductwork system in the home. Often, we combine a ULV fogger with venting fans to ensure that deodorant particles remain suspended in the air for a more protracted period and therefore remove more of the fire odor.
How is dry-fogging ULV equipment put in use safely?
- Initiate the fogging equipment outside the property to reduce the chances of drips
- Maintain the fogger at an even angle as they can become less efficient when tilted
- Use sparingly to avoid leaving oily residues on surfaces after fogging.
Getting control of an odor problem is essential to returning your home to its preloss condition. Contact SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City at (773) 337-3900.
What Water Restoration Equipment is Used When a Chicago Condo Experiences Water Damage?
Appliance failures can quickly cause water damage in your condo. Contact our experienced team to mitigate the situation.
SERVPRO Has an Extensive Line of Equipment to Mitigate Household Flooding in Chicago
Chicago has more people than any other city in Illinois. It has the third-largest population in the United States. With all these people living and working in Chicago, there is a great need for housing. Much of this housing is supplied in the form of condominiums. If a pipe bursts or a dishwasher overflows on an upper level, it can lead to water damage not only in the original apartment but others as well. Getting a professional water restoration company on the job quickly is the smart thing to do.
What Inspection Devices are Used?
Before any restoration can take place, a scope gets done on the premises. This tells the technicians which areas of the structure are impacted by the water. It also helps them define to what extent structural elements and the content have absorbed the moisture. Our technicians use several inspection devices to find and track moisture and assist with water removal for a condo in Chicago. These include:
- Moisture Sensors – Equipped with short probes, these sensors are used in carpets and padding. It determines whether or not water has migrated to the subflooring. It only detects the presence of moisture; it does not measure moisture.
- Thermal Imaging Cameras – Used to inspect and monitor the moisture in building materials. They help at the start to evaluate the extent of moisture. Infrared cameras assist technicians in finding hidden water that has traveled behind structural elements.
- Moisture Meters – These are used to inspect the moisture content in different materials. They are often used for detecting the moisture level of wood. There are two types of moisture meters:
- Penetrating – This type penetrates the material on the principle of electrical conductivity. Multiple layers of material can be tested with the probes.
- Non-penetrating – Moisture is detected through the use of radio frequency emissions, conductivity, or capacitance. They cause no surface damage and are used to find high levels of water in material such as drywall.
- Thermal Hygrometers – This measures the relative humidity and temperature of air mass. There are standard levels of humidity that allow technicians to determine what moisture needs to be removed.
- Manometer – Moisture detection is not involved with a manometer. Instead, it measures gas or vapor pressure. It helps maintain proper air quality.
- Inspection Cameras & Borescopes – Used to look into cavities. It can help technicians determine the construction methods used and if contamination is present.
What Pumps Are Used to Extract Water?
SERVPRO has several types of pumps used for Chicago water removal. The pumps we use are primarily centrifugal pumps. The pumps can be truck-mounted or portable. There are three main types of pumps our technicians employ.
Self-priming trash pumps are used when there are solids in the liquid. They are classified as slurry, full trash, trash, or semi-trash pumps, depending on the amount and size of the debris. High-pressure pumps are utilized in areas such as basements and garages. They are quite powerful. Submersible pumps are electric and what we use most often. We use both smaller portable units and industrial units. They can operate quietly in the background.
Our technicians know how to assess just what pumps need to be used in the current site they are working on. Water extraction is crucial to the restoration of the premises. Standing water not only deteriorates building material but can cause secondary damage such as mold.
What Do You Use to Dry the Home?
After as much water is removed as is possible, the drying phase begins. When you hire SERVPRO, you are getting a team that knows how to use the equipment in the right ratio for optimum drying. Our drying equipment consists of:
- Centrifugal Air Movers – These units focus on replacing the damp, moist air with fresh airflow. They can be positioned to work in conjunction with our other drying equipment. Attachments such as a carpet clamp can “float” carpets allowing them to dry from underneath and from the top.
- Axial Air Movers – These types of air movers drive larger volumes of air and can cover more area than the centrifugal units.
- Structural Drying Equipment – We use various tools that allow technicians to direct warm, dry air into cavities not easily reached.
- Dehumidifiers – There are several types of dehumidifiers SERVPRO uses. There are refrigerant dehumidifiers, conventional dehumidifiers, and low grain refrigerants. Each has its own unique functions, with the refrigerant unit being the most common in terms of water restoration usage. Desiccant dehumidifiers use chemicals that absorb the moisture from the air.
Other equipment that can be utilized includes portable electric heaters and air conditioning units. With this arsenal of tools available for water damage restoration, it is no wonder SERVPRO is top in their field.
Contact SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City at (773) 337-3900 for quality water removal condo service. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
What is the Best Way to Remove Mold from Schools?
Mold infestations can occur anywhere, even in schools. SERVPRO has the know how to remediate the damage.
Call SERVPRO Franchise Professionals in Chicago to Perform Commercial Mold Remediation in Schools
Worries about indoor exposure to mold have increased as the public becomes aware that mold can cause health effects. Dealing with mold is not something any school owner or manager in Chicago wants to do. However, with SERVPRO’s mold remediation services, you do not have to worry.
Can you remove mold effectively from all the areas it is growing?
Mold can grow on any organic material that contains oxygen and moisture, including paper, wood, and insulation. Our team has the expertise and mold removal products required to perform effective commercial mold remediation in your Chicago school. Our team can replace and remove porous materials such as tiles, drywall, or moldy ceilings. We can clean non-porous materials like metals, plastics, and glass to remove mold. If the surfaces are dry, we can eliminate the mold through HEPA vacuuming. If the mold is growing in soils, we can damp wipe the surfaces with a detergent solution.
Why could be mold growing in my school?
Mold in schools usually grows when airborne mold spores land on damp food sources and begin digesting them to survive. Mold gradually ruins the materials it grows on. The water that contributes to mold infestation could enter portable classrooms and school buildings through leaky pipes, roofs, foundations, windows, and other structural openings. Mold can also set in your school after a flooding or water intrusion incident. Moisture issues in schools can result from scheduled maintenance activities or conditions during school breaks like:
- High humidity during the summer.
- Increased moisture because of painting.
- No heating or air conditioning system operation or reduced use when the school is closed.
Other common causes of mold growth in schools include gutters which direct water to the buildings, poor maintenance linked with moisture, and unvented combustion appliances. Overall, any problem that can cause water to accumulate or increase moisture and humidity spots favor the formation of mold.
Can you conduct clean-up safely?
Our SERVPRO team can conduct the mold remediation process safely. We can wear personal protective equipment (PPE) to avoid exposing ourselves to mold-laden dust. The PPE we use depends on the extent of mold infestation, and it includes:
- Eye protection
- Chemical resistant gloves
- Full body suits if the contamination is extensive.
- An N95 or greater filter type respirator for use in small, contaminated spaces.
Our crew can also take caution to keep mold and mold spores from dispersing throughout the air where students, teachers, and other people who use the school facilities can inhale them.
Mold infestation in a school can cause health effects to students, teachers, and other staff. Call SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City at (773) 337-3900 for effective mold remediation services.
How Can I Remove Floodwater That Filled My Home?
Whether a Large Flood in Your Chicago Home or a Small One--Call SERVPRO for Water Extraction and Restoration
Prompt Floodwater Extraction Is Imperative - Call SERVPRO to Address Your Chicago Home for Rapid Removal!
Whether you have a little bit of water coming into your home from a flood or a lot, you need to remove it quickly to lessen the damage. After flooding from around your Chicago property starts to seep into the lower portion of your home or the basement, your interior is at risk from potentially harmful contaminants. Trying to tackle this contaminated water with DIY methods can leave you with a mess on your hands and costly secondary damage. Rather than going it alone, you can contact our trained water restoration technicians (WRT) at SERVPRO to remove water quickly.
Why Should I call Someone for Skilled Restoration?
Rapid removal and proven methods are the best way to handle a flooding incident on your property. When you call us for floodwater extraction in Chicago, our IICRC-certified technicians get to work quickly. Not only does this cut back on secondary damage, but we have steps in place that help to inhibit mold growth. Once we arrive on your property, our team will:
- Assess the Damage – The crew looks at the path of water migration and any building materials impacted by moisture. This allows us to carefully plan the right course of action to facilitate cleanup and water extraction.
- Standing Water Extraction – We use a broad range of tools and equipment to pull up standing water, such as submersible pumps and truck-mounted extractors.
Is There Something I Can Do Until SERVPRO Arrives?
There are several actions any homeowner can take until our Green Fleet arrives, including:
- Closing off the flood-damaged zone of your interior to the rest of your home.
- Check to see if you can shut off the power to the flooded area so that you can cut back on potential shock hazards.
- Never touch the affected area due to the potential for coming into contact with contaminated water.
Prompt Action is Critical!
Our motto is We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster, which means that we arrive within hours of your initial call for help. Once we arrive, we assess the damage, including testing the water coming into your home. This gives our crew insight on potential contaminants like chemicals and bacteria so that we can select the proper antimicrobial treatments.
Containment is another crucial step in the process, as this allows us to limit the amount of cross-contamination happening throughout the water extraction and drying phases. We have protocols in place that include our crew wearing personal protective equipment (PPE). Additionally, air scrubber equipment helps capture airborne particulates while improving indoor air quality throughout extraction and restoration.
What Makes Floodwater Dangerous?
In addition to various debris, floodwater also comes with a range of unknown contaminants. This is why DIY methods and household cleaning agents will not do the trick. Non-porous items within your home have the best chance of full restoration. Our technicians can use immersion cleaning techniques to achieve cleaning goals with many items and belongings that fall into this category.
It is important to note that within 24 hours of the floodwaters infiltrating your interior, mold, and mildew begins to colonize and spread. We have remediation techniques that allow us to work proactively to handle microbes before they can multiply out of control.
Issues that our flood-loss event clients generally encounter may include:
- Loss of all carpeting and carpet padding should all restoration efforts be exhausted
- Water wicking up through the sheetrock, which calls for partial replacement
- Delaminated resilient tile flooring or tack-down laminated flooring
- Hardwood flooring that calls for partial or complete replacement
Each case is unique, and our crew works to restore versus replace whenever possible.
What About Odor Control Throughout My home?
It is understandable you would worry about musty odors after encountering a flood incident in your Chicago home. We extract all water and look for hidden moisture pockets to lessen the change of lingering odors. To help battle odorous particles, SERVPRO uses specialized deodorizing and cleaning techniques that work to disinfect surfaces. All of the strong antibacterial and antimicrobial cleaners that we use are EPA-registered and safe.
Should odors still be lurking, our technicians use thermal fogging techniques to pull out embedded odors. Our thermal foggers heat solvents to create a fine mist that covers all areas that floodwater touched. Once the fog touches odorous molecules, it adheres and breaks down the odor chain to eliminate musty smells.
We can also employ hydroxyl generators that use ultraviolet (UV) rays to address odor-causing airborne molecules. Even though these powerful machines are tough on stubborn odors, they are safe for use around houseplants, pets, and your family members.
SERVPRO of Evergreen Park/South Chicago City is here to make floodwater extraction easy and hassle-free. If you have experienced floodwater in your home and need assistance, you can reach us by calling (773) 337-3900.
Can I Prevent My Documents from Needing Water Restoration?
Water can damage legal documents. Keep them in a safe place and call SERVPRO should they become water damaged.
Chicago Residents Worry About Their Documents During Water Restoration
Residents of Chicago know how easily waters can rise, and rivers can burst their banks. Destructive weather is a part of life in the city, and its residents understand the importance of always being prepared.
In the event of flooding, you might need water restoration services in Chicago. Restoration services help clean water-damaged items, dry out your home, and deal with leftover damp smells. One thing our customers often worry about is their household documents.
Which Documents Should I Keep Safe?
We store so many precious papers in our homes:
- Household records such as birth, marriage, and death certificates
- Health papers such as scripts, test results, health insurance documents, and even wills
- Pet and auto papers such as vaccination records for pets, or servicing history for vehicles
- Irreplaceable souvenirs like photographs, newspaper, old letters, and children’s artworks
Can I protect my documents?
SERVPRO believes that prevention is always better when it comes to water restoration. There are several things you can do to protect your papers:
- Please keep them in water and fireproof boxes and cabinets
- Never store documents in a room you know is prone to flooding, such as basements
- Make electronic copies of everything and hold those separate from the originals
- Consider keeping copies in your home and storing originals off-site in a safe or bank vault
- Keep precious papers on shelves that are at least twelve inches from floor level
Can SERVPRO help if my documents are damaged?
Sometimes, no matter how prudent you are, a disaster still occurs. Our technicians are trained in water restoration for all manner of materials, including paper.
We use a state of the art freeze-drying process to salvage water-damaged documents. Vacuum freeze-drying is the only paper drying method approved by the National Archives and Records Administration. Your paper records are frozen, and then we apply vacuum pressure to remove moisture in vapor form without turning it back into water. We can also clean and deodorize papers as needed.
Time is of the essence for vacuum freezing, so please call us as soon as you suspect water damage to any of your household documents.
For help rescuing your papers, call SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City at (773) 337-3900.
More about Chicago.
A Storm Left Me Dealing with Flood Damage in My Property. Where Should I Seek Help?
Not all super heroes wear capes. We are prepared to handle any water damage emergency in your home!
Talk to Technicians from SERVPRO in Chicago to Help You Perform Flood Water Removal in Your Home
Coming home to a soggy living room and a flooded basement can leave your head spinning. Taking immediate attention after the unfortunate incident is essential to prevent costly repairs. SERVPRO professionals have decades of experience and hi-tech equipment that has helped us clean up and restore thousands of storm flood-damaged homes across Chicago.
What can floodwater ruin?
Depending on the magnitude of the damage, flood water can seep into drywall, floors, and furniture, among other valuable contents ruining them. SERVPRO professionals can conduct flood water removal at your Chicago home quickly to help stop further damage. We know the significance of a fast response when it comes to flood cleanup. When our technicians get to your property, we can concentrate on saving as many possessions as possible. Some of the repercussions of flood damage include:
- Mold growth occurs within 48 hours.
- Health threats continue to increase the longer the water or moisture is left in the property.
- Saturated wallboard may begin to sag if the drying process is delayed.
- Moisture can cause your laminate flooring to peel off.
What precautions should I take?
Do not attempt to enter a flooded property with live electricity. Find the circuit breaker and turn the power off. Before entering the flooded areas, equip yourself with necessary personal protection such as rubber boots and gloves. Since you may not have advanced restoration equipment and clean up skills, let highly trained experts perform water removal.
How do you conduct water removal?
Before we begin the water removal process, we conduct a thorough damage inspection to determine which tools and equipment to use during the restoration process. Since floodwater washes down dirt and debris such as sand, tree branches, and mud, we can use a self-priming trash pump to remove the floodwater from your home. The equipment can pass solids that are less than 8".
How can you dry my home?
The drying action is an essential step in flood damage restoration. We can use hi-tech equipment to dry the areas with moisture as fast as possible. For instance, we can use a heavy-duty venting box fan to increase airflow in the affected area. The equipment speeds up the evaporation process and gets rid of odors present in the property.
It would help if you had assistance to restore your home after it floods. SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City can perform efficient flood water removal to make the flooding incident appear "Like it never even happened." Call us today at (773) 337-3900.
More about Chicago.
Firefighters Have Put Out the Flames in My Property. How Do I Handle the Fire Damage?
The situation can feel quite overwhelming when your home is affected by fire damage. Contact SERVPRO for effective remediation services.
Talk to SERVPRO Experts in Chicago to Help You Perform Fire Damage Restoration in Your Property.
Fire is a terrifying disaster that property owners can experience. Even after putting out the flames, the smoke residues may continue to destroy the valuable items and building materials in your Chicago property. Fortunately, when you contact SERVPRO technicians within 48 hours, we can inspect your property and restore it to its former glory.
What are some of the dangers of fire damage?
If you delay fire damage restoration in your Chicago property, secondary damage may begin to occur. Smoke residues, soot, and the water used to fight the flames can significantly ruin your home. Water can cause your wooden floor to bend and warp. It may also weaken structures such as support beams and lead to mold growth.
The structures become vulnerable and can collapse since they cannot hold the weight. This can lead to severe injuries to the property’s residents.
How do you determine the severity of the damage?
Our team of restorers has certifications from the IICRC, Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification to conduct fire damage restoration. We use cutting-edge techniques and advanced equipment and tools that effectively handle fire loss incidents of any magnitude. To determine the intensity of fire damage in your property, we:
Inspect the property for smoke and soot damage
Use a dry-cleaning sponge to locate the affected areas.
Use wood crème paste to test wood furniture with a heavy concentration of soot.
Inspect the HVAC unit and ducts for odors, damage, and contamination.
Once SERVPRO technicians get to your property, we begin mitigating the fire damage immediately to prevent substantial repair costs. Our restorers can remove valuable items from the affected area to access every corner of your property. We can keep you informed during every step of the mitigation and restoration process.
How do you clean the affected property?
Cleaning the affected area helps in removing odors. Our highly trained technicians can use various techniques and cleaning agents depending on the surface. We can use a liquid crème cleaner such as stain scrub, a mild abrasive product to clean surfaces made of stainless steel like kitchen appliances.
After the cleaning process is complete, the charcoal-like odor may persist. We can use several air scrubbers to remove the odors depending on the size of the affected area. The units pass the contaminated air through filters, which remove 99.99 percent of particles. The machines release clean air into the property.
After a fire loss, contact SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago at (773) 337-3900 immediately to mitigate the fire damage. We can quickly restore your property to its pre-damaged state. "Like it never even happened."
See more about Chicago.
How Can I Keep My Pets Safe From Flood Damage In Chicago?
For flood mitigation, you can rely on, call SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City at (773) 337-3900.
Chicago Homeowners Want To Keep Their Four-Legged Friends Safe From Flood Damage
As every Chicago pet owner knows, our furry (and sometimes finned or scaled) friends quickly become part of the family. Looking after a pet requires time, care, dedication, and money. Sometimes, caring for a pet involves planning, such as arranging for their care when you are on vacation.
Flood damage in Chicago is distressing for anyone, but it can be extra stressful if you also have pets. Keeping your companions safe during a flood is a top priority. The very best way to keep your pets safe during flooding is to make preparations ahead of time. SERVPRO also recommends printing a list of actions to take when flooding occurs, and keeping it somewhere that is both floodproof and easily accessible.
What can I do to prepare for flooding?
SERVPRO suggests taking the following actions before a flood happens:
• Contact your local shelters and also friends and neighbors, to find out who will be able to take your pet should the worst occur, and you have to evacuate – please note not all human shelters allow pets, so it is essential to have a plan
• Please make sure all dogs and cats are microchipped and have a sturdy collar and tag with up to date information on it
• Make arrangements with a neighbor for someone to take your pets in should an evacuation order happen when you are out of town
• Always ensure you have a good stock of food and medicine for your pets
• Double-check your flood escape route and make sure it’s pet friendly
What should I do when I get a flood warning?
Swift action is essential when a flood warning comes. SERVPRO recommends you check flood warnings for your area regularly, and should you hear an alarm, take the following steps:
• Bring all dogs and cats inside as soon as you can
• Move all pets upstairs if possible, and take food, water, and medicine supplies upstairs too
• Fetch warm blankets and familiar toys and place them in the room with your pets for both warmth and comfort (the familiar smell of favorite toys helps calm pets in distress)
• Put medical information, vaccination information, vet details, microchip number, a recent photograph, and any other useful information about your pets in a sealed waterproof bag
• Make sure you have portable pet carriers (for cats and smaller animals), and a sturdy leash or harness (for dogs) close at hand
You might also consider asking a friend who lives outside the flood area if you can take your pets to them until the danger has passed
How should I take care of my pets when flooding happens?
If your home floods and you have not evacuated your pets, do not panic. There are still things you can do to take care of them during a flood incident.
The most important thing is not to leave your pets behind. Even if you think they are safe upstairs, you do not know how long it will be until you return home. Use a sturdy carrier to transport smaller animals, and a good quality leash to keep dogs close to you – do not let any animals roam free during a flood.
If you have to evacuate with your pets, remember to take food, bowls, a favorite toy, and bedding.
If you do have to leave animals behind, for your safety, shut them in an upstairs room with ample food, water, and bedding. Leave a note on the door of your home, stating that there are animals inside and contact your local animal charity if you can.
What can SERVPRO do about my flood-damaged house?
SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City understands that even once your pets are safe, it is still distressing to see your flood-damaged home.
Our highly-trained teams are on hand to take care of every aspect of flood repair and restoration, leaving your home feeling like your own again.
We start with an initial assessment of the damage and take care of emergency needs such as removing hanging plaster, putting a tarp on the roof, and boarding up doors and windows if necessary.
Our flood mitigation process covers everything from using powerful pumps to extract excess water, to positioning air movers and dehumidifiers to dry out your home and make it liveable once more. Our SERVPRO teams also take care of damaged personal effects, disposing of those we cannot salvage, and cleaning and sanitizing the items we can save.
We finish every project with deodorization to rid your home of lingering damp odors.
You can rest assured that we will liaise with you at every stage. For flood mitigation, you can rely on, call SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City at (773) 337-3900.
Do I Need To Empty My Chicago Business Premises After Fire Damage?
If you are concerned about fire damage to your business, call SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City at (773) 337-3900.
SERVPRO Helps Chicago Business Owners Empty Their Premises After Fire Damage
Chicago business owners know how inconvenient a fire can be. It can be challenging to get a business back up and running after ablaze. Naturally, you want as little disruption to your operations as possible.
One of the biggest questions facing Chicago business owners after fire damage is whether they need to remove items from their business premises. It can be challenging to know whether furniture and equipment should be tossed, moved out, or left in place when surveying the aftermath of a fire.
Thankfully we are here to offer help and advice.
Will SERVPRO empty my premises?
Our teams will assess the situation on-site and advise you on whether or not to empty your premises. The process of clearing your premises is known as a pack out. Depending on the situation, you may have several options:
• Only move items that are directly in the way of cleanup operations, perhaps to an undamaged room
• Leave furniture and equipment in place if it is not damaged and not in further danger from cleanup operations
• Arrange to have office supplies and furnishings moved out to a safe location until the fire damage restoration process is complete
How can SERVPRO help with a pack out?
There are several ways we can help you with a pack out:
• We will advise you whether our staff are the best choice or whether it would be better to co-ordinate with an independent moving company
• We can liaise with your insurance adjuster
• We can often clean items ahead of packing them up which means they are returned to you “Like it never even happened.”
• We have checklists and procedures on hand to make sure all items are logged and stored and returned safely
We recommend all businesses take part in our Emergency Ready Plan. You can use your ERP profile to provide vital information for staff, our teams, and anyone else involved in the event of a disaster. Because you prepare your ERP before disaster strikes, you do not have to worry about tracking down insurance details or the chain of command when trouble hits.
If you are concerned about fire damage to your business, call SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City at (773) 337-3900.
How Can I Call a Halt to Water Damage in My Chicago House?
Sometimes flood cuts are necessary to dry your home's structure. SERVPRO has the necessary training to know how to restore your home.
Team Up with SERVPRO to Stop a Water Loss from Continuous Harm to the Structural Components and Contents of Your Chicago Home
Transitioning your Chicago home from the devastation of a severe water crisis back to preloss condition is a multi-phase operation. The overall term used by customers and some in the industry is "restoration," but that word might better describe the ultimate goal rather than the tasks and steps necessary to achieve it. Recovery from a water loss involves assessing the scene and then planning plus monitoring of a continuum of work beginning with mitigation, moving through remediation, and then completing with any repairs or rebuilding needed to reach restoration, "Like it never even happened."
What Is MitigationA fter a Water Emergency?
When leaks in plumbing or appliance mishaps occur in Chicago, prompts and comprehensive water mitigation is crucial. Mitigation includes all efforts to stop water from continuously soaking into and spreading over the residence's structural components and contents. Eliminating the source of the water is an essential mitigation strategy. Homeowners should know where the main water supply valve is on their property and how to shut it off to prevent the flow's continuing harm.
Are There Mitigation Strategies a Property Owner Can Take Before Professionals Arrive?
Homeowners can take action to mitigate water damage beyond shutting off the main. Take care that the area you address is free of electric shock hazards and contaminants. Consider doing the following:
- Collect clothing, books, throw rugs, and other loose items on the floor and move them to a safe, dry area
- Remove cushions and pillows from upholstered furniture and temporarily store them in the same dry area as the loose items
- Place furniture on blocks or insert aluminum foil under the legs to prevent staining and limit more water absorption into porous materials
- Drop clean, colorfast absorbent towels on floors to soak up moisture
- Open cabinet doors in wet areas
- Open doors and windows unless contraindicated by temperature or high outside humidity
What Should or Can Wait for Professional Interventions?
The chance of water-related hazards can be significant, and SERVPRO project managers are well-prepared to inspect for harmful circumstances and conditions. If in doubt, wait for our certified employees to assess and manage:
- Deeper water that could hide submerged debris
- Water contaminated with sewage, chemicals, or seepage from damaged oil or gas utility lines
- Wet spaces where you are unsure if the electricity is live
- Ceilings or walls evidencing trapped water through bulges, new staining, "sweating," or peeling paint
- Wet installed carpet and padding
- Evaluation of laminate or hardwood flooring that is distorted by delamination, warping, and buckling
How Do Professionals Continue the Mitigation Process?
We consider each Chicago water disaster individually, crafting a plan that meets the needs assessed at your home. Consequently, there are differences and adaptations for each project. Expect to see a range of mitigation strategies, including the careful release of trapped water, based on visual and device-aided (moisture detectors, moisture meters, or infrared imagery) inspection.
Mitigation strategies can also include controlled demolition or temporary structural adaptation approaches such as:
- Flood cuts
- Drilled, sawn, or punched holes
- Removal of toe kicks under cabinets and other built-ins
- Prying off beadboard and paneling
- Wanded extraction at the dry edge of water incursions on wall-to-wall carpeting to prevent further spread before weighted water extraction of soaked areas
- Removal of wet padding to enhance the efficacy of weighted extraction of carpeting
- Removal of wet insulation and breached vapor barriers in walls and crawl spaces to halt water reabsorption into building materials
- Pack-out of wet contents, including furniture and electronics, to our production facility to simplify the mitigation and remediation tasks designed to extract water and remove residual moisture from structural components
- Pumping and aggressive extraction of standing water from affected spaces to shorten the time needed for effective structural drying
- Raising of appliances above the waterline
Can I Continue to Help with the Mitigation?
Our team strives throughout every project to keep lines of communication open. We encourage our customers to work with our crews safely and collaboratively to move from the mitigation phase to remediation and finally to repairs and rebuilding. Insurance claims and seeking answers to concerns are also a joint effort.
Believe in and partner with the skilled and well-equipped team at SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City when you need swift and sure water mitigation. Call us at (773) 337-3900 as soon as practical to arrange an expert assessment and development of an effective plan.