We Get You Back in Business in Downtown Chicago After Flood Damage
How SERVPRO Containment Systems Limit Flood Damage Related Shutdowns
When we respond to a flooding situation at your Downtown Chicago business, we know how debilitating even temporary closure can be. Our experienced project managers work with you and your insurance company to devise a flood water removal and drying plan that permits at least a portion of your operations to continue during mitigation and remediation phases.
Hazardous Waste Needs Professional Containment after Flood Damage
All flood damage at your Downtown Chicago commercial building involves hazardous waste. Overland flooding picks up chemicals, debris, and organic materials, including fungi, dead animals, and sewage, when the sanitary systems become overwhelmed. Regardless of the line of business you pursue, health and safety regulations apply that make keeping infectious waste and other dangerous substances contained. The safety of not only your employees and customers, but also the general public, depends on our training and skills in hazardous waste containment and lawful disposal.
American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Containment Levels
SERVPRO employees study the elements and requirements of ACGIH containment recommendations when designing an appropriate flood damage cleanup configuration. We look at the level of contamination and craft containment strategies accordingly.
- Source containment -- minimal contamination
- Removing, wrapping, and properly disposing of materials is sufficient.
- Local or mini containment -- moderate contamination
- Constructing a small 6-mil polyethylene wrapped enclosure large enough for a worker to remove, wrap and bag, and pass contaminated items out for lawful disposal is appropriate and minimally disruptive.
- Full scale containment -- extreme/extensive contamination
- Construct a 6-mil polyethylene wrapped and contained work area.
- Add smaller spaces adjacent to the work area as a decontamination area for workers, equipment, and bagged waste with a floor to ceiling polyethylene wrapped interior.
- Add equipment rooms to store contaminated tools and workers’ clothing.
- Add an uncontaminated room to clean contents.
- Add a clean room for uncontaminated items and clothing.
- Add a load-out area where bagged waste can be stored until disposal.
- HEPA Air Filtration and Venting to Prevent Hazardous Waste Drift
Any of these systems can include one or more negative pressure air scrubbers to pass airborne particles through HEPA filters and vent to the outside. An airlock can be employed using negative air pressure equipment to permit movement between contaminated and uncontaminated areas while protecting spaces where your business operations continue during flood damage abatement.
SERVPRO of Evergreen Park / South Chicago City is ready to manage flood damage for your business while permitting you to meet your customer base’s needs. Contact us at (773) 337-3900 to develop a plan with our talented crews.